In Indian cooking, Urad Dal is one of the most commonly used food items. In English, Urad dal is known as black gram or black lentil. Mostly grown in the southern regions of South Asia, Urad Dal is extensively used while preparing Indian cuisine. From basic recipes like idli and dosa, it is used in making some of the best and healthy foods.
Urad dal has a high protein content and is also rich in some essential vitamins, minerals, and fiber. This can be used to make a variety of delicious dishes ranging from breakfasts, snacks, lunch, or dinner. Check out some of the main food ideas where urad dal is one of the main ingredients. This is one kind of a dal that can be used in breakfast, lunch, and dinner options.
1. Urad dal dosa–This famous and tasty Dosa variety is simple and easy to make. It requires no fermentation. You could serve these healthy urad dal dosas with coconut chutney or sambar. They also go well with the usual potato sabzi which is made with
masala dosa. A perfect breakfast, light lunch, or snack option that is healthy.
2. Medu vada – crispy, slightly spongy and delicious vadas that go very well with coconut chutney or sambar. It is one of the easiest snack/breakfast items to make.
3. Soft idli – idli is one of the most popular and healthy breakfast recipes. Tenali Double Horse Urda dal gives the best, soft, fluffy idlis you can never get disappointed with.
4. Poornam boorelu – The most famous sweet dish during festivals in South India. This tasty sweet is a deep fried snack made with a stuffing of channa dal, jaggery and coated with urad dal batter. Tasty, healthy and easy for digestion.
5. Urad dal bonda – A South Indian traditional snack that has a beautifully reddish-golden hue, crisp on the outer surface and soft on the inside. This is usually served as an evening snack with chutney and sambhar. This healthy delicious item will surely put a smile on your face. Try out these famous, tasty and healthy South Indian recipes made with Urad dal, especially
during the summers.